What is Lion’s Mane?
Lion’s Mane is a striking looking edible fungi with potent brain and immune boosting benefits. Studies have shown this enchanting medicinal mushroom to be a powerful nootropic (brain booster or smart drug) capable of improving memory, cognitive and executive functions and enhancing creativity.
What are some of the benefits to taking Lion’s Mane?
Traditionally used in Chinese Medicine, Lion’s Mane has been used for many years as a powerful digestive support, nerve tonic and antioxidant booster, however it is the benefits to brain function that have given Lion’s Mane a new space in the limelight.
Research has shown taking a daily dose of Lion’s Mane may help:
- Regenerate and strengthen neural pathways
- Boost memory, mood, focus and concentration
- Improve and repair cognitive function
- Clear brain fog and increase mental alertness
- Decrease anxiety, stress and depression
- Build neural connections
- Help repair nerve damage
- Lower blood pressure
Lion’s Mane and Sleep:
More recently Lion’s Mane has become a popular mushroom to help improve sleep quality and quantity, specifically REM sleep. REM sleep is the lighter sleep we come into after a 90-minute sleep cycle. When we are in REM sleep our brains are processing the events of our day, and forming new ideas and memories based on our daily interactions. Taking Lion’s Mane before bed can help calm the mind and promote longer sleep cycles with a deeper, more rested overall slumber. Wouldn’t it be wonderful to wake more energized, restored, grateful and excited for the day ahead?
What’s the best way to consume Lion’s Mane?
Lion’s Mane comes in either a tincture or powder form and can be taken in a wide variety of creative ways.
Try taking ½ tsp of powder or 2 ml of tincture in any of the following:
- Added to your morning coffee or tea
- Taken with water, juice or in a smoothie
- Mixing into pancake, cake or brownie mix before baking
- Made into a batch of Lion’s Mane bliss balls using nuts, seeds, dates and cacao
- Added to cereal, muesli or porridge for a brain boosting breakfast
- Mixed into a warm cup of hot chocolate before bed for a blissful slum