You may have heard of turmeric, the boldly flavoured Indian spice with its rich yellowy orange hues. But did you know that the reason turmeric is so highly revered is thanks to its active ingredient, curcumin?
Curcumin is a polyphenol antioxidant that can be cleverly extracted from turmeric to increase potency and health benefits. It is often combined with piperine (otherwise known as black pepper extract) to enhance absorption through the digestive tract by up to 2000%. Curcumin is also fat soluble so taking it with your meal can also help improve its assimilation.
What are the health benefits of curcumin?
- Anti-inflammatory: curcumin contains a bioactive compound that helps lower inflammation at a cellular level. Taking curcumin after an injury or illness may help to reduce the length of time to healing and recovery. It may also reduce symptoms of mild osteoarthritis, including pain, stiffness, and inflammation.
Antioxidant rich: Oxidative damage occurs daily thanks to several factors from diet to environmental toxins. Some protection from this damage may be offered by including a range of antioxidant rich foods and supplements. Curcumin acts in two ways, it helps to directly block free radical damage and also stimulates the body to make its own antioxidant enzymes.
Brain and Memory Function: Curcumin may assist to boost levels of a growth hormone in your brain called brain-derived neurotropic factor (BDNF), which may help to increase memory, focus and concentration.
- Digestive support: taking curcumin may assist with relieving symptoms of heartburn, flatulence, and dyspepsia. It may also protect mucosal cells in the oesophagus as well as support gut healing and permeability.
Top 5 curcumin products in-store at go natural foods:
- Pure Food Essentials Turmeric plus – 100ml
A potent liquid formula containing 1350mg curcumin per 5ml serving (1 teaspoon). Also contains pure lemon oil, ginger extract and ethanol.
- Nature’s Sunshine Turmeric 34000+ – 60 capsules
A high strength active curcumin formula containing 560mg curcumin per capsule.
- Fusion Health Curcumin Advanced – available in 30 or 60 capsules
A high potency curcumin with added ginger and Boswellia extract for increased anti-inflammatory and digestive benefits. Also contains piperine (black pepper) for increased absorption. Each capsule contains 200mg active curcumin extract.
- Grenera Curcumin with Piperine – 120 Capsules
Turmeric combined with piperine (black pepper extract) in convenient capsule form. Contains 1096mg of curcumin per serving (2 capsules).
- Jomeis Fine Foods Turmeric Latte – 120g powder
A deliciously warming blend of spicy turmeric with hints of cinnamon, ginger and black pepper. This potent brew can be enjoyed anytime of the day or night and is perfect added to desserts and baked goods.